- The Dane must be an inside dog and not spend a lot of time outside unsupervised.
- The family should have a fenced in yard (More information on our fencing policy is provided in later sections.)
- All animals in the household should be spayed/neutered, unless there is a medical reason as to why the other animals are not, in which documentation from your vet will be required.
- All animals in the household should see a vet once a year, and be up to date on all vaccinations, monthly heartworm medication, and flea and tick preventative (Unless using a seresto collar or equivalent). We require vaccinations to be given by a veterinarian, as well as heartworm medication. We will not approve any applications that self administer vaccines or ivermectin. We will also not approve any applications that do not vaccinate or use heartworm medication at all. We will NOT make exceptions to this rule.
- The entire family must be committed to the care and well-being of the dog.
- Depending on the dog adopted:
- Fencing requirements apply whether an applicant resides in a city, suburb or on a multiple acre farm. If an adoption applicant is unable to provide a satisfactory fenced area (attached to their home) for a Great Dane we will allow tge following exceptions:
- The first fencing exception is for applicants who reside in circumstance where they cannot fence. Such as it is not allowed in the community in which you reside, you do not own your property, or if you live in a condo or an apartment. In these situations, leash laws are usually stringent.
- The second fencing exception is for those who can fence but choose not to, and includes applicants with acreage. We do not place dogs into homes where they will be placed on a runner, chained, tied, or staked out in any manner. We also do not consider an electronic fence as a safe alternative.
- With either fencing exception, your application must include a letter relating your circumstances, lifestyle, previous dog ownership and your plan on safely exercising and managing your Great Dane without chaining or allowing off lead. In addition, a letter of recommendation from your veterinarian regarding the care and well-being of your current or previously owned pet(s) must accompany your adoption application. Without these two letters your exception request cannot be considered.
Puppies ages 8 weeks to 3 years $500
Young adults and adults over 3 years to 5 years $400
6 years to Senior $200